Thursday, September 1, 2011

Looking Ahead

September 1st today. I'm feeling a little unsettled, kind of stuck in limbo. It's supposed to be 95 degrees today...I feel like I should take the kids to do something awesome and summery outside, but honestly? I'm kind of over it. The kids' summer shoes look grubby and worn out and I'm tired of their shorts. Although school is starting for both of them, we're not yet at the age to need long lists of school supplies so no trips to Target necessary (well, who am I kidding, Target is ALWAYS necessary). The house needs cleaning, there's the ever-present laundry piles, there are toys in absolutely every corner. I just don't feel like doing any of it.

It's been a really great summer, full of visiting family and friends, beautiful weather and lots of fun activities. I'm just ready to move on I guess. I'm not exactly anxious for winter to come, but I'm itching to replace the flip flops and swimsuits with sweatshirts and rainboots. Ready to hose down the outdoor toys and store them away in the garage where we will look longingly at them in January.  Pacey's been asking about school with increasing frequency and we met his bus driver (!!) the other day. We're ready....it's just not time yet.

Fall is my favorite season. I love wearing sweaters and making soup. I prefer the playground when it's a little cooler and the kids are more inspired to run around. I love fall flavors - pumpkin and apple and spices. I love the way outdoor photos look in the autumn light. And, let's face it, I love school.

I guess it feels like I'm waiting for the right moment to shift focus. I have a long list of tasks to accomplish before winter is upon us again but it just doesn't feel like it's TIME yet. Perhaps this long weekend will be the turning point. We'll be dismantling a crib and setting up a toddler bed so perhaps that change will be a jumping off point.

Speaking of points - there really isn't one to this post, but I've managed to avoid the house-cleaning, laundry, toys for awhile...

No comments: