Sunday, November 13, 2011

Things I'm Digging

1. Good Food Made Simple frozen steel cut oatmeal

I found this in the freezer section at Costco. I think it was around $9-10 for 8 single-serving frozen pouches. There are four maple flavor and four fruit and berry flavor. I haven't tried the maple yet, but the berry is full of blueberries and cherries that taste as though they were added fresh to the oats before freezing (rather than being dehydrated). It takes 3-4  minutes in the microwave and is a good-sized portion that keeps me full until lunch. I just feel...virtuous having this for breakfast and it's really delicious.

2. Ziploc Zip 'n Steam bags

I'm not very imaginative when it comes to vegetables, but I am trying to add more into our meals on a daily basis. I personally don't mind frozen veg for the most part but there are some things I prefer to buy fresh and cook myself, such as broccoli and cauliflower. That's where these steam bags come into play - you just cut up your vegetables and seal them into the ziploc. There are cooking instructions on the front of the bag for a variety of the most common things you might want to cook in there (there are instructions for a full bag or half bag). Throw it in the microwave for the recommended time and voila, steamed vegetables that haven't lost all their goodness and - most importantly - aren't mushy. I think these will help motivate me to keep giving the kids vegetables to try even when I know they won't eat them...it's easier when I know I won't be investing a lot of wasted time.

3. Pandora

Not a new thing, but between my husband and I we have created a list of about 10 stations that cover pretty much any musical mood. It's a really awesome way to discover new artists as well, which I like because I don't listen to the radio at all these days. I'll be firing up my holiday stations any day now :)

4. Amazon's Gift Organizer

Simple concept but it's been really helpful in organizing my ideas for Christmas gifts. You just put in the  names of all the people you need to buy for and you can post links to your ideas right there in the list (whether you find them on Amazon or not).

5. Squeezable Fruit Pouches

My kids are rather suspicious about new foods in general right now, and especially vegetables (see above #2). I'm still trying to find Brighton's kryptonite, but for Pacey it's been the wide availability of pureed fruits/veggies in pouches. I knew that he liked yogurt in a tube so I tried an applesauce pouch, which he loved (I gave B one too, but she gagged so violently after the first squeeze that I gave up for now). Anyway, I've managed to sneak in some of the mixed fruit and vegetable pouches too now. Ultimately, I'd obviously like to get both kids eating whole veggies but for now, if I can sneak a little butternut squash in without him noticing, I'll take it!

6. Oil of Olay Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System (see it here on Amazon)


My sister gave me this for my birthday and I love it. Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a Beauty Routine kinda girl. It's a simple moisturizer in the morning and usually just a face cleansing wipe at night (my sister is cringing reading this). This is a more reasonable version of a Clarisonic brush; I use it in the shower with a mild exfoliator and it's like having a little mini face massage every morning. Very refreshing!

What are you loving lately?

No comments: