Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Ok, so I am going to attempt to post every day in December (mmm, well at least until Christmas). I've been making a list of things that I'd like to do - or need to do - in the run up to Christmas and so I am going to commit to doing and posting about one thing each day that we do to recognize and enjoy the season. It won't always be something big or shiny, but it will be something unique to this time of year, things that I hope the kids are storing away into their collections of Christmas memories.

Today will be getting out the boxes of Christmas decorations, books, etc. I love opening up these boxes each year. It's the same stuff I put away last year, but somehow it's exciting each time nonetheless. Specifically, I will be opening them up in search of our Advent calendar, a lovely quilted wall-hanging with pockets to hold a little treat for each day. Pacey really got into this last year and I expect both kids will love it this year. Before next year I would like to put a little bit of thought into how we will explain the significance of the holiday season. Although we are not teaching our children the Christmas story from a religious perspective, I would like for them to have an appreciation for the holidays that goes beyond treats and gifts. I like the concept of Advent and can see an Advent wreath/candles having a place in our holiday traditions. Some believe that the four candles leading up to Christmas represent hope, joy, love and peace and these are absolutely values that have a place in our home and would prompt good discussions with the kids. Lots to think about.

What are you doing to mark the first day of December?

1 comment:

Aislinn said...

Is it wrong to buy a chocolate advent calendar just for myself?!?! I can't wait until next year when I can think about the same things for D!