Saturday, October 27, 2012

Circling the Wagons

Even almost six years into this journey with Pacey, there are still days that are hard. Sometimes I feel so exhausted thinking about all the years ahead to navigate, striving to find a balance between trying to help Pacey fit in with his peers and trying to help his peers accept him for who he is. Selfishly, I think mostly about how hard it is on my sensitive soul; my skin has thickened considerably but sometimes I feel like nothing less than a suit of armor will be required.

It's on days like this that I am most grateful for my family and friends. I know it's necessary to push Pacey out in the world and help him be part of his social group, try new things and learn coping skills. But there is nothing better than being with the people that know and love Pacey for who he is. No apologies or explanations necessary. No clearly false attempts to interact with the kid with special needs, just genuine kindness and affection for him.

No point to this really, just reflecting today on how many good people we've been able to surround ourselves with.

(And a few pictures to lighten the mood)






1 comment:

Unknown said...

I understand completely. I would much rather stay in our cocoon than expose Boo to the world.