Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A Few Questions

I saw this over on Navigating the Mothership and I thought it might be a good prompt to get the writing juices flowing again.

1. What were you doing 10 years ago?

Ten years ago this month I was getting ready to get married (wedding was April 26, 2003). I was working in the radiology department at a private hospital in Chichester, England, where I was given far more responsibility than was probably legit for someone with no official training. My sister was taking care of most of the wedding details in California and I was focused on looking gorgeous (regular gymming, fake-tanning (I KNOW)) and pinching pennies to cover our expenses to travel over for the wedding. We lived in a tiny one-bedroom flat with no actual heating beyond little space heaters. We frequently resorted to running the ancient tumble-dryer even without clothes in it because it contributed some heat to the living space. We were pretty close to broke all the time and it was stressful planning a wedding from far away but mostly I remember that being a pretty darn carefree and fun time in life (whether I realized it then or not).

2. What are five things on your To-Do List?

I'm going more with Life Goals for this, as opposed to Boring Shit I Need to Get Done This Week.

- Fundraise for and complete a 3-day walk for breast cancer.

- Get another tattoo that represents my family in an abstract way.

- Take some photography classes and offer, probably on a volunteer basis, photo sessions specifically for children with special needs and their families.

- Go on family trips to Alaska, France, Germany and England to show our kids all the places that shaped their parents, both as individuals and as a couple.

- Take a solo trip with each of my kids to a place of their choosing (within reason).

3. What are five snacks you enjoy?

- Apples and peanut butter
- Shelled pistachios
- Tortilla chips and hot salsa
- Pretzels
- Triscuits

4. Name some things you would do if you were a millionaire:

- Pay off our mortgage and student loans
- Purchase a house large enough to accomodate Pacey and several other young adults/adults with special needs to form a "group home" of sorts.
- Encourage my husband to start his own business
- Buy a home for my parents here in the Twin Cities, to be occupied as often as they wanted
- Finally get over my inability to spend lots of money on nice clothes for myself

5. Name some places you've lived:

- Anchorage, Alaska
- Chichester, England
- Brighton, England
- Pasadena, California
- Outside Minneapolis, MN

6. Name some bad habits you have:

Biting nails/picking cuticles, grinding my teeth, leaving cupboards and drawers slightly ajar, letting my kids watch iPad while they eat so they will just SIT DOWN FTLOG AND EAT

7. Name some jobs you've had:

- Medical records clerk (after-school and summers through high school and college)
- Cook/cashier/server/janitor at a cafe (work-study during college)
- Radiology Assistant
- Publicist for a publishing company
- Temp at Yahoo
- Claims investigator for a medical malpractice insurance company

1 comment:

Navigating the Mothership said...

OOh, I enjoy reading these from other bloggers!

I never made the Brighton/Brighton connection!

I also fake tanned for my wedding. I will admit to enjoying it but I told myself at the time it would be the last time I would do such a thing.

Finally, I'm seeing so many bloggers say they have lost their writing mojo lately. I think it's the weather. We are all just trucking along, waiting for some actual warmth and snow melt. Like Sven Svengard said on his newscast - there average temps are going up even if we are stuck below average. It's coming and when the warm weather gets here it will just get better and better.